© Stockton Heath Parish Council 2013
Stockton Heath Parish Council accepts no responsibility for the content of this website or for the content of external sites.
Stockton Heath has a very long and varied history. There has been a settlement here since Anglo-Saxon times and ‘The Heath’ was made an important resting place for the marching Roman armies. It was also a camp
for both armies in the civil war.
The Romans made Wilderspool Causeway, London Road and Chester Road as routes for their armies to march along. Thereafter used as the main trade routes in and out of Warrington.
In the early 1800’s (1805 – 1808 ‘ish) a house stood at the corner of London Road and Walton Road which was the home of Edward Fenna and his family who was the Parish Constable. Outside the house were the Parish Stocks (removed 1850). The house was called the “Stone Jug”.
In 1894 an Act of Parliament set up local Parish Councils. Stockton Heath was part of the township of Appleton. Two years later Stockton Heath formed its own Parish Council and one of its first jobs was to rename ‘Pigeon Bank’ as ‘Victoria Square’ after Queen Victoria.
FREEDOM OF THE PARISH
In bygone days the granting of freedom of the parish awarded some of the following rights and privileges:
The right to graze sheep or cattle on common land
The right to trade inside the city wall
The right to walk troops through the town or parish with drums beating and colours flying
Rights are however nowadays mainly symbolic.
The following have been granted Freedom of the Parish in recognition of services to the community by Stockton Heath Parish Council:
Mrs. June Daynes May 2008
Mrs Jean Bullock May 2008 Mrs Helen Curwen October 2016
Mr Gary McIntyre July 2011 Mr Tudor Pope October 2016
Mrs Wendy Emsley October 2018